Whether your storage needs are for public or private cloud requirements, Gluster Inc. is prepared to support you by providing you the ability to manage your data in a single global namespace with the open-source GlusterFS filesystem. Deploy GlusterFS on public cloud infrastructures such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) with the Gluster Amazon Machine Image (AMI) and Rackspace Cloud, or build your own private cloud using commodity hardware.
The Gluster Amazon Machine Image (AMI) is a software-only storage solution delivered as a virtual appliance. The Gluster AMI deploys in the public cloud environment via Amazon Web Services (AWS). This powerful storage appliance provides a scalable, virtualized, commoditized and centrally-managed pool of storage for Amazon users. The Gluster AMI’s global namespace capability aggregates disk and memory resources into a unified storage volume that is abstracted from the physical hardware. Gluster supports multi-tenancy, partitioning users or groups into logical volumes on shared storage.
The Gluster AMI is the only high availability (HA) storage solution available for AWS. This unique high availability solution is enabled by the synchronous file replication capability built into the Gluster AMI.
Gluster is well-suited for cloud environments. It easily deploys and scales in private and public cloud platforms, such as Amazon, and aggregates block storage into a single pool that can be shared across many clients. Gluster is POSIX-compliant, so the interface abstracts, cloud vendor APIs and applications do not need to be modified.
The Gluster AMI is available in multiple instance types from Amazon Web Services. Flexibility in the AWS pay-as-you go model, combined with the highly elastic scaling capabilities of the Gluster AMI, ensures you only deploy and pay for storage resources as needed.
Attributes of GlusterFS for Private and Public Clouds:
Optimized for Private and Public Clouds
- Use with Amazon Web Services.
- Uses arrays of EBS devices for consistent, high performance access.
- A POSIX-compliant, distributed filesystem designed for the cloud.
- Modular, stackable design. GlusterFS and Gluster Amazon Machine Images can be configured and tuned to deliver high performance for a wide range of workloads. Modules can be combined as necessary depending on storage requirements and workload profile.
- No metadata server. Rather than using a centralized or distributed metadata server, Gluster employs an elastic hashing algorithm to locate data in the storage pool, removing this common source of I/O bottlenecks and vulnerability to failure. Data access is fully parallelized, and performance scales linearly.
Easy to Deploy
- With just a few mouse clicks you can deploy additional instances in seconds.
- Provision and scale out an unlimited number of nodes for multi-petabyte NFS, CIFS, mounts.
- Build a secure, low-cost and easily managed thin-provisioned, multi-tenant scale-out storage system in minutes.
- Gluster AMI is the only high-availability storage solution for Amazon Web Services.
- Highly available N-Way replication means data is synchronously mirrored across availability zones.
- Files can be replicated two or more times to ensure data is always available, even in the event of hardware failure. Self-healing capabilities restore data to the correct state following recovery.
- Elastic volume management enables storage volumes to be abstracted from the hardware so data and hardware can be managed separately. Storage servers can be added or removed while data continues to be available, with no application interruption. Volumes can grow or shrink across machines in the system and can be migrated within the system to rebalance capacity or add/remove systems on-the-fly.
- A unified global namespace that aggregates disk and memory resources into a single pool, virtualizing the underlying hardware. Grow and shrink the single namespace dynamically, with no interruption to client access.
- Allows you to “pay as you grow” as your requirements change over time.
- Runs in user space, eliminating the need for complex kernel patches or dependencies.
- Simple, single command for storage management.
- Automated call-home for critical issues, 24/7/365, 2 hour response support available.
- Includes performance monitoring and analysis tools.
- Leverages EC2 hardware environment within Amazon WCS.
- Ideal for AWS usage-based pricing.
- Enables Private and Public Cloud users to realize superior economics via the use of commodity storage hardware.
|Gluster Storage Clouds in Action|
Partners HealthCare Systems, a non-profit health care system and teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School, built a centralized storage repository for its network of research hospitals.
Envoy Media Group, an integrated direct marketing firm, uses Gluster with Amazon Web Services to power storage for multimedia content delivery.